Sunday, November 4, 2007

Restaurant Spotters*******************posted by DD2

Hi Guys what you are doing sounds very interesting.
As you know I am a professional Private Detective. As a side line to this, and due to my affection to Food and drink, I had kind of developed a new angle to my job. Being I have to eat anyways and as a way to make it interesting and profitable as well.
First of all, one must have a license as well as insurance to be doing this sort of thing, so it’s not for everyone. Although it may sound so great, believe me, it’s work. What I do almost every night of the week, and by the way, that’s why I leave the board early every night.
Is called in my industry, “Restaurant Spotting” I actually work for the restaurant Owner.The goal of a Spotter is not only to critique the restaurant food and service. Just about anyone can tell you what you are doing wrong... in their opinion! Professionally-trained Spotters provide a restaurateur with a detailed description of a typical customer experience, every step of the way from their first impression when calling for a reservation or directions to the exit greeting and lighting in the parking lot.

A professional Spotter Service should focus on:
1. Employee cash handling
2. Quality of bar and service staff training
3. Design and content accuracy of the menu
4. Compatibility of the wine list and pricing
5. Attention to decor (music, lighting, table settings, etc.)
6. Food and beverage presentation
7. Price vs. value of food and beverage items
8. Server salesmanship
9. Overall cleanliness, and condition of the rest rooms.
10. The service and honesty of the bartender.
Does he pour larger drinks for his “good customers” for bigger tips. Does he give out free drinks for the same reason? Does he record every drink in the register or does he put some of the drink money in his tip jar?
11. Does the waiter really know what the chef is preparing that night, and how it is prepared? I would ask lots of questions to find out. Even if some of my question may sound dumb. It’s done that way on purpose, just to hear the response of the waiter. Also does the waiter have the patients to answer dumb questions?
12. My report will also include things like the following.
1. Is the parking lot and entrance clean and attractive
2. Where you greeted at the door.
3. Are the restrooms clean? And are they well supplied?
4. Did the bartender shake your hand and offer his name and inquire yours.
5. Did the bartender make your drink quickly, try to up sell (offer you brand named drinks where more money is made) and did he ring it up.
6. Did the server offer you the specials?
7. Food and drink quality
8. Did you see a manager and was he doing table visits.
9 What is the moral of the employees? I would ask them questions to find that out. Are they happy? Do they say bad things about their boss?
10 Did you receive secondary service. (i.e. ground pepper, fresh grated parm cheese, was the water glasses refilled, was more bread brought if the basket was emptied?)
When I am done, I then have to have my assistant type up the report, I submit my bill for my fee along with ALL expenses, the cost of the food, the drinks the tips the parting if any, and whatever else there may be.
So that’s what you may call, “having your cake and eating it” So, As you can see, I am very involved in the restaurant scene.
If you have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them.