Monday, January 21, 2008

Bannana Oatmeal Bread


The recipe:
Preheat oven to 375
- 2.5 cups white wheat flour
- 3/4 cup quick cook oatmeal
- 1 Cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup regular sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 overripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
The recipe was concocted this weekend as a way to deal with the bananas that were going to rot. The idea was to make a breakfast treat that would be high in fiber. This bread is dense. I had hesitated to put it in one loaf pan because I did not know how high it would rise. I now feel comfortable suggesting it be all cooked in one pan (for 50 minutes) or in muffin tins (for probably no more than 30 minutes). The pan I used was glass and it needed to be well greased.

Mush up the 'naners with the eggs and all the oil. I used one of those pastry thingies -- but a fork would probably work too (or a potato masher).

Dump it all in a mixer and let it go.

The object is not to leave it lumpy -- the stuff needs to be mixed well (make sure there are no dry clumps).


The end product was quite good -- but it is very dense. Cool it in the pan for about ten minutes, then turn it out on a rack.
I'll probably have to tweak this recipe a bit. If anyone else decides to make it, let me know how it turns out, or ways it could be improved. Since most Americans don't get enough fiber in their diet, I am always looking for tasty ways to bake with wheat flour. In this case I used white wheat. If any one uses regular whole wheat, please let me know how it works.